Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lots of questions, no answers


Dr Terry ( gastro) called yesterday. ALL of Mateo's tests from his Doernbecher admission were normal. They have NO clue why he was stooling blood from his ostomy. Best guess is an ulcer on a suture line of his previous surgery. The problem with this is they haven't SEEN an ulcer. We can press forward and try other tests, but Dr Terry said that even IF they do find an ulcer, they won't do anything. It would require surgery to remove, and in Mateo's case, they really want to avoid surgery if at all possible. So she gave me the choice to either press forward or to wait and see.
This is hard on me, to make this decision. What if this... what if that... Why make him suffer more, endure more... But we NEED answers... My decision came down to this. If it was something serious or dangerous, the other tests would have dianosed it. I don't want to put him through more trauma. So I am going to stop testing and let him be. He hasn't lost enough blood for it to be dangerous or to cause any issues.
The plan from here is to watch him at home and if he passes blood again to let Dr Terry know, and if it's worse or more than previous to take him to the hospital here to be evaluated and IF needed he can be transported to Doernbecher.
He is being referred to an allergist for skin testing for his Eosinophilic Esophagitis, and we have a follow up with his soon to be NEW gastro, Dr Muir. Dr Terry who has been with us since day 1 is retiring. :( The good news is Dr Terry chose Dr Muir for us and she comes down here to Springfield! Our follow up is next month here at Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend! So we don't have to drive clear to Portland!!
Mateo has been doing well since his discharge and we will take it day by day!

No comments:

Post a Comment